Douglas John Viney Lidington was born in Thame, in 1879, youngest of six children of William and Joanna Lidington. At his baptism at St Mary’s church Thame on 21st April 1879 his parents are described as licensed victuallers and in 1881 they are at the Spread Eagle Hotel in Thame.
His brothers Brighton Webster Lidington and William Richard Lidington also served in the First World War and survived.
He lists himself as a wine merchant when he married Gertrude Emilie Adams at Warwick parish church on 6th March1902. They later lived at 4 Adam Street, London.
He served as a Private 16335 in the 9th Battalion of the Norfolk Regiment. This Battalion was part of Kitchener’s New Army that was established from early 1915 and eventually went to France in August that year.
The Battalion took part in the latter, successful, stages of the battle of the Somme. Douglas was killed on 15th September 1916, aged 37 years, although no body has been identified and he is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial, Somme, France.
He is remembered in Thame on the War Memorial and on a gravestone in St Mary’s churchyard, Thame.
The Thame Remembers Cross was delivered to Thiepval Memorial, Somme, France on 31st October 2015 by Cllr Linda Emery (Deputy Major of Thame) & Cllr Helena Fickling